Saturday, April 08, 2006

Wow, what a trip.

Since my last posts, I've been burning the candle at both ends. The medications my doctor strongly recommended, and I finally had to concede to, have been wiping the floor with me. In spite of that, my cousin and myself have worked like crazy to get my truck ready for the trip we just took to pick up his boat. Between this and that, I've had about 40 hours of sleep in the week leading up to the trip. Two days ago, after another long day of preparations, my cousin and myself left Iowa City, Iowa at 11:00 pm. He had just gotten off work and I had spent the day packing, taking care of a few remaining details, and such. So, without sleep, we drove a half ready 4x4 '72 Chevy K20 with a six inch lift from Iowa City to New London, Wisconsin.

It was supposed to be a 5.7 hour trip (according to Mapquest). Well, with hills, fog, darkness, and such it ended up being an 8.5 hour trip. All went well, considering the situation. We were going to stay overnight and drive back the next day but we were doing good after we picked up the boat, so we started back. Though we had no problems with darkness or fog, we were then towing a 15 1/2 foot boat so the hills and occasionally wind slowed us even more on the way back than the fog, darkness, rain, and hills had on the way up. We drove, and drove, and drove until it almost felt like driving hell.

We ended up driving all the way back, and more. My cousin had found a place to store the boat, but that would mean another hour and a half drive onto our already long journey. My cousin didn't want to go further. I pushed until I got my way. Not wanting to tow the boat "soon" again, not wanting to have a half done job, and not being sure if and when the truck might die, I just had to get it done. It got done and we got home at about the same time we left the night before.

Fortunately or not, I didn't really believe I could take my meds and get the job done, so I didn't take insulin or blood pressure medicine. I was also drinking a lot of Coka-Cola to help stay awake (plus other soda types to keep from becoming too bored with the fluid). No, diet soda just doesn't work, I needed the sugar and the caffeine. My "diet" was also fairly lousy, according to diabetes ideals. Peanut M&Ms and whatever else was handy and served to deal with hunger. Oh well, I figured I could pick up when I returned home on my new diet and regimen. I checked my glucose level before breakfast, my first shot, and actually anything else this morning. It was 234, the lowest I've had since testing. What? I have no idea, but I really wonder what is going on with diabetes. It seems like a good deal of fiction surrounds it's causes, how to deal with it, and diet. I will certainly evaluate anything I am taught about it, but I will do so with an extremely critical eye.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

Boy, you have a lot to learn. You would have had more energy if you'd taken the insulin and eaten less sugar. Also read my comment on your previous diabetes post. I'm really surprised they started you on insulin right away; they usually have you try diet & exercise for several months, then meds, and insulin as a last resort. Maybe because it was so severe. Get into the discipline, and you can probably nix the shots.

8:34 PM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Difster said...

I need to get my diet under control as well. Fortunately, I gave up the Mountain Dew nearly a year ago.

6:18 PM, April 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am astonished. The Geek said it first. Living with a diabetic daughter from age 11 certainly taught me much, and soda and junk food should be a great big 'No, No. That is a high reading - 200+. Get thy self some information or you'll wind up in a very poor physical condition Diabetes can bring on SO Many other diseases.

6:44 AM, December 05, 2015  
Blogger Doom said...

Oh, hey, Anon.

Sure, yes, I know. I've been working at it. The thing is, it's difficult for me to stay on track. By the way, you probably didn't read the date of the post. No problem, just...

As things have turned out, my diabetes is probably a subset of a much larger problem that has only been diagnosed recently (relatively, about four years ago). When they found it, my refraction ejection was 15%. That is just about as bad as a heart can get. With medication and time, I am up to 20%, but that would still put me on the heart transplant list (if I trusted doctors, which I don't). It was probably that bad since I first fell ill. It has nothing to do with depression or whatever else they misdiagnosed it as.

Still, I have cut sugar out almost completely. I am on medication as well as I am able. And I am still doing quite well. I mean, given the givens. But... thank you for your concern. God bless and Merry Christmas.

Did I mention I had been dead three times, the longest for 5:30, the shortest for about 3:30 minutes? They didn't know I had a bad heart. Started back up well enough any way. Hmm... maybe I should pray for you! :) ;)

2:33 AM, December 06, 2015  
Blogger Doom said...

By the way, I have moved to a whole different blog. I am not recommending it. In my struggle to life, and in the dark of my past, and hard life, I... write a mean story and add music to underscore things. I don't recommend. However, if you... want to cut your teeth... I am here now.

On the left, lower down, is a grouping of "Labels". If you want to get a taste of angst, and more, click on Doom's Consternations, Doom's Oddities, Music, Women, Legend Lore Myth, perhaps even Praising God. I almost hope you don't. Still...

Be well.

2:37 AM, December 06, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home