Friday, March 31, 2006

I have been away.

Sometimes I don't write because I am exhausted. I wasn't sure why I was exhausted as I live more like that old dog that loves to lay down, naps a lot, and doesn't move really quickly even when excited. After years of this, I found out why yesterday. I have diabetes. My urinalisis showed 1000mg (?not sure about the mg part, and I'm not medically inclined?). My random later that day (they called me back and had me come in) was 590. I must assume both from symptoms and the bit I've learned researching diabetes that this has been a long time problem. I believe they have tested for it before, but because of my variable life-style (not eating for a few days at a time, not sleeping regularly, etc.) they just missed seeing it in the tests. Anyway, I've lowered it to as low as 301 premeal now after just 2 days.

So, if you were curious, now you know. Or, part of it. I must admit, I was a little unsettled when I found out. As the shock wore off though, I am quite happy. No, no, not happy that I have diabetes, just happy that there is an explanation for some of my difficulties and have found a path to better living. I am pretty sure that with a few dietary changes and my new activity levels this problem will actually take care of itself in the short term.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

Beloved has diabetes. Good thing you found out. Are you saying your blood sugar is 300 before meals? That's really scary! I have two bits of advice for you. As soon as your sugar is under control, demand that you be tested for EVERY possible health issue with diabetes: kidney damage, nerve & circulation in your feet, every test in the book. Since you may have had this for years without treatment, you gotta be proactive about the repercussions. Also, read The New Diet Revolution by Dr. Atkins. Not that you should necessarily follow the diet, but he explains a lot about how carbohydrates affect blood sugar, and in some cases cause a snowball effect. Learning about glycemic index is very important too, but I don't think the book talks much about it, so learn on the internet. You gotta attack this problem if you wanna still be walking at 60.

6:56 PM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home