Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Ok, it's a bit early but I wanted to get this out as the next few days are going to be busy for me. I no longer dream of candy and presents, though women have been pleasant guests in my dreams lately. No, for Christmas, I just enjoy being with family and friends, eating good and special foods, drinking some beer, and catching up on my people's lives. I have an aunt and uncle (married pair) who are both terminally ill, and all of my other aunts and uncles are getting toward the end of their lives. So this year is special. These people have been important to me as I have grown up. I am enjoying their company so long as they are here, and I will have a few more good memories of them when they are gone.

I am hoping that everyone has someone to be with this season. It's not the season to be alone in, even more so than Valentines Day, I think anyway. Get some good memories and tuck them away. Forget the rough parts, set aside your frustrations and the complications and mistakes, hold those dear to you closely and forgivingly, and keep the special memories for when you have nothing else. In our busy lives, sometimes we forget that age is creeping up on us. The only other tricks I would advise is that you learn to spread Christmas out to every day of the year. Giving a Christmas present in May, July, or whenever a need or little want is there makes the whole thing a lot better. And to know too, it's not the gift, it is the consideration and act of sharing that makes it all good.

Once again, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

Merry Christmas, Doom. You & the family take care.

1:00 PM, December 21, 2005  
Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

Very strong suggestion:

Get a recording device of some kind, and interview your relatives before it's too late. Ask about their favorite childhood toys, friends, activities. Best/worst job, experience, house. What's changed most/least in their lifetimes. Ask siblings about their family memories. What did their parents get most angry about? What do they value most from those relationships?

My great-aunt made an hour-long movie of herself and two sisters' relationship. (Very amateur, but very valuable, especially to my dad, siblings, & cousins.) My mom interviewed her grandma on tape, complete with a little girl saying "We're going to listen to it after you die!" She's found a few diaries and letters from ancestors; I think one is from the Civil War. I pestered her for years until she filled out a little book called, Mom, Share Your Life With Me, which had a question for each day of the year. I plan to get started early, and use the questions in that book to write my own life story on the computer. I want unlimited space for my rambling.

8:16 PM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Difster said...

Alright, get back to blogging now Doom!

10:19 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Doom said...

Are you sure, Difster? *evil grins*

7:49 AM, January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home