Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Don't trust doctors.

After a few good years in college, part time but good, my blood pressure became an issue. After discussing options with my doctor, a doctor I like and have worked with for years mind you, we decided to try a pharmaceutical approach. The next year and a half, we tried 6 different hbp regimens. The last two worked to lower my blood pressure, however, they also completely exhausted me. I would sleep 14 to 18 hours a day. We settled on a the 6th regimen, but tried to find an anti-depressant that might help with the exhaustion. Oddly, that only made the condition worse. With each anti-depressant I tried, the exhaustion continued and increased no matter which anti-depressant I tried. On both types of medication I could not stay awake more than 2 to 4 hours at a time and lost the ability to concentrate altogether, needless to say, that put a crimp in engineering college which is now on a hold until I am up to speed again. I wasn't actually depressed in the classical sense, I was just perpetually tired, so perhaps that is why they didn't work. I stuck with this group of meds for 2 years hoping that I could work my way up and out of the side effects. Finally, I just dropped the meds cold turkey (don't do this at home, leave this to professional bonehead stubborn guys like me). The withdrawal was much more sever than I had anticipated, but I kept with it and have made it back to a semblance of normalcy.

I had packed on weight on these meds, getting up to a high of 340. Even at 6'4" that is really big, though not as fat as it sounds (about half was fat from inactivity, half was water weight (didn't matter that I went to the bathroom every few hours even during sleep periods). After 5 months, the weight had only dropped to 320 and I was afraid I would be stuck there. Then, to my great joy, I lost another 50 pounds in the last month and a half! I am down to 270, and I think I am still dropping. As well, I have found a few hobbies that get me up and out, and I am energetic enough to participate. I have also started working out again, as energy that was sapped by meds is returning.

Now, I really like my doc, I think he has my best health in mind from a professional standpoint, yet he would have let me roll on in that condition indefinitely. I don't know what they teach doctors in med school, but I don't trust that it has a common sense aspect in many cases. Yea, I should have dropped the meds before. I suppose I can be a victim of sheep mentality too, which combined with my stubborn resistance to quitting can lead to gullibility. *sighs* I guess the moral of the story is watch out for yourselves, the medical community has not, does not, and will not in the future. You are a guinea pig and they will use you up if you let them. Every surgery, pharmaceutical regimen, and treatment plan is just and truly a biology experiment (which they track with paper work and statistics just as good as any NAZI camp doctor). I do have faith that they care in their way and I think they have some significant knowledge, I just think they really have a moral or humanity gap that comes with their doctorate. Word of warning. Don't do anything that isn't truly important to you or isn't absolutely vital to your next breath.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi the Geek said...

So how's your BP? Tried any natural remedies?

Don't be too hard on doctors. Wrong as they may be, they're often just misled, or have their priorities skewed. When your whole profession is devoted to keeping people physically healthy, it must be easy to lose sight of the really important things.

8:03 PM, January 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home