Monday, December 05, 2005

Who Does That Guy Think He Is?

Beside deciding to post a blog, air my views, and become involved in the public discourse of political, educational, religious, and other issues, I do enjoy debate and logic brought to these topics by people who really work hard at delving into these areas. I have been reading some of these people's blogs and articles for years, having enjoyed their work, agreeing and disagreeing with their material (rightly and wrongly sometimes), and becoming a participant in their thinking by emailing or commenting. So, I will occasionally include my analysis and links to these active, interesting, and thought provoking individuals. Call it sharing the joy.

As I see it, I have a blogfather and a blogmother. My blogfather was the first online blog personality I became aware of, though initially it was through his articles. I used to frequently applaud or debate his positions via email. Sometimes he laughed, sometimes (I am sure) he cried, he might respond if what I wrote struck a chord or he thought a response was called for, and other times he just enjoyed the fan mail. I do respect his intense digging, his logic, and his views in spite of the fact that I am not 100% in his corner. Oh, I hope that doesn't make me mutlicultural? ack... His name is Vox Day, well, his blog name anyway.

I will write a bit about my perspective on Vox, and let you all judge my accuracy. Vox, a Libertarian Christian writer and thinker, provides very clear cut views on morality, ethics, religion in practice, legal matters, and even drifts into the world of sports (he actually likes soccer, hehehe). His views aren't just strong opinions or ideas and ideals he has been taught, but are self-manufactured principles based in logic, faith, a philosophical education of significant depth, and a few other sources. Occasionally he gets in over my head, as I am not as well read (nor quite so interested in so much of a depth of analyses in my reading). Still, I generally get his points and understand where he is coming from and going to with his notions. His writing seems to be both well conceived and original to him at some impressive levels. Do I still disagree with him? Heck yes. Just because he is a bright light doesn't mean he can't be a dull bulb to my way of thinking at times. As well, he will accept well placed criticisms with a good defense or clarification and barring that can agree to disagree or accept that he might be wrong rather gracefully. Vox's place, Vox Popoli, is a pleasure to read and you can access his articles from that site as well. He is a good guy, (a favorite part of mine as well) an entrepreneur, and author.

Now, for my blogmother. Kiwi the Geek is rather new to blogging. She started just a short bit before I did, and has really started working with it. With a bit of help from her, and some pushing, I am now online. I like to stop by her site because she offers some interesting thoughts and commentary, often from a woman's perspective specifically. Having written her some number of emails and having become familiar with her, I realize she has some significant depth as a real woman. She is rather bright, she is well educated in technology, she has good Christian leanings, and her ideas about womanhood and motherhood make this conservative man a bit more hopeful in the fairer sex. She is just starting, like myself, but I am thinking when she gets her feet solidly planted, she has the potential to be a really dynamic independent writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home