Thursday, May 04, 2006

Fishing In Iowa

Ok, so Iowa isn't one of the top ten destination states for fishing. As a fact, we might not even be in any rankings, anywhere, regarding fishing. That is ok with me. Fewer fishermen to contend with. As well, since I don't have to travel to fish in Iowa, for me, this is where fishing starts. And, fishing has started.

I haven't fished as an adult. Trying to remember back to the last time I fished, I can only guess it was in my mid-teens. My skills, if I had any, must be gone. That is fine, perhaps if I take my time now, I can learn to fish more correctly. I've purchased 3 reels and rods, tackle box, line, hooks, etc. ad nauseam. It was fun to make the purchases but information overload was a constant hazard during the process. The types, manufacturers, and styles of everything from hooks to reels to line is beyond the belief of the uninitiated tackle shopper. As well, when one finally settles on a list of pieces and parts, finding those exact items online or in the store is an incredible feat, even with a relatively short list. Still, with patience, a few dollars, and a little time, it has been done.

The reels I have (the open face reel is on the way) are bait-casters. I had heard such wonderful things about them. I have watched the pros get them out, rig them, and cast. Oops, not quite that easy. The first day out (yesterday, Wednesday May 3), my cousin and myself did a great job with our new bait-casters, of making birds nests out of fishing line that is. Neither of us brought our owner's manual for the reels. Looking over the device in my hand I began to crunch some numbers somewhere deep down. Just a few switches, buttons, and dials, I knew there was a solution. So, a little experimentation, a few practice throws, a few more messes, a few adjustments, and voila, I was fishing on my first day. So, I cast a few times and was having a bit of fun. My cousin was not.

My cousin is younger, and young for his mid-twenties sometimes. This was one of those times. He had no patience and less luck. I tried to help him, but he is a do it yourself (or no dice) type of guy when he gets into a contesting mood, so that didn't pan out. While I'm trying to set his reel, I allow him to use mine. That wasn't a great idea. I tell him how it works, show him how to cast, hand it to him, then watch as he messes my rig up, almost perfectly. Oh well. After a bit of working on my reel, he finally gets a few throws in but it is time to go. Frustrated yet exhilarated, we go home. His reel was removed as soon as we got home and he put on an old open face reel he had. I'm sure his bait-caster is pretty much doomed. *hmmm, perhaps a bargain is in the works... an extra bait-caster so they can each be pre-set for specific rigs... hmmm, perhaps all is not lost for that reel*

Today, we went again. This time we both cast many times. We both also caught several fish. I hooked the first two, and I thought he was going to cry, pout, or something. I changed to a larger rig to try for bigger fish and he went to my little kit. None of the bigger fish where biting, and the little ones kept feeding. I ended up going back to the smaller tackle so I wouldn't miss out on some of the fun. I ended up with 5 fish, he reeled in 7. All 7 to 10 inch crappie. We didn't keep a single one. The "book" he had indicated that the crappie needed to be 15" or longer to keep. Not so, there is no limit on size. Still, we did have fun and we are just learning. As I like to say, it's all good.

Deer hunting last winter, fishing this summer, and perhaps rabbit, squirrel, duck, and goose hunting this fall, my personal hunger for the outdoors and the sports thereout is being satisfied. I'm not getting to everything as fast as I would like, and I missed ice fishing this last winter. This autumn I may miss one or all of the seasons. Still, bit by bit, a piece at a time, I'm getting the gear, information, experience, and (most importantly) the confidence to go out and try something new or risk failure in familiar activities.

I hope you are able to begin stepping out and up to the challenges which interest you. It makes life a lot more interesting. It also seems to fill some void. And you never know, you just might find exactly what you've been looking for to complete your life experience at this point in your fall from the womb to the heavens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home